We are thrilled to announce the 2023 Bean Summit! In 2022, we held our first Bean Summit. Now, we are building upon that energy and looking forward to our 2023 Bean Summit. We have an exciting program to share all about the behind-the-scenes world of beans, from farm to fork. Plus, lots of delicious bean dishes prepared by professional chefs – and you get to vote for the winning dishes! We can’t wait for you to join us.
This event is free, thanks to the generous sponsorship of growers, dealers/processors, and bean organizations! Check out the Summit agenda, and then please scroll to the bottom to register.
Bean Summit Details
- Date: Thursday, March 2, 2023
- Time: 9:30 am – 2 pm
- Location: Elks Lodge – 5700 Yukon St, Arvada, CO 80002
Bean Summit Agenda
We are finalizing our agenda and will continue to add speaker updates. Below is the current agenda.
- 9:30-10: Check-in and light breakfast – Those who arrive before 10 will be entered into a raffle to win one of several lunch coupon to local restaurants!
- 10-10:15: Welcome
- 10:15-10:30: How was the 2022 bean harvest? – Jay Ewald of Northern Feed & Bean will talk about bean production in Colorado, Nebraska, and Wyoming, sharing insights about the challenges farmers faced in the 2022 growing season, the quality of the bean crop, and more.
- 10:30-11: Grower panel – Growers from Colorado and Nebraska will share about why they grow beans and sustainability benefits of beans, and they will answer audience questions. This is a rare opportunity to actually meet and talk to several growers! The panel consists of:
- Troy Seaworth: a third-generation farmer in Northern Colorado and the President of Seaworth Ag Enterprises and Wildcat Farms
- Eastern Colorado grower TBD: Farmer Bean & Seed is talking with their growers to decide who will join
- Nebraska grower TBD: The Nebraska Dry Bean Committee is confirming which of their growers will participate
- 11-11:15: Why beans are a nutritional powerhouse – Sally Ayotte, RDN (Registered Dietitian Nutritionist), of Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center will share about the many health benefits of beans and why she thinks they are the perfect food.
- 11:15-11:30: Local beans spotlight – Are you curious about companies using local beans? JJT Beans will share their company story and why they are so excited to work with beans. Plus, they will have samples for everyone to enjoy!
- 11:30-12:45: Lunch prepared by professional chefs, and you vote on the winners! – We are grateful to the Hispanic Restaurant Association for helping us coordinate the Bean Summit. Five of their chefs will prepare delicious bean dishes for you to enjoy. On the menu are pinto and Mayocoba beans from Barber’s Farms and Northern Feed & Bean, light red kidney beans from Jack’s Beans, and great northern beans from Trinidad Behnam Corporation. You will be amazed to see what these chefs can do with beans, and the audience will vote to determine the winners. The five chefs who will be serving up an absolutely delicious bean feast are:
- 12:45-1:10: Chef panel – This is your chance to hear from three chefs about why they love to use beans, the benefits of including them on the menu, and more! You’ll meet:
- 1:10-1:40: Local beans panel – Even though beans are so important to local food systems here in Colorado, Nebraska, and Wyoming, many institutions struggle to use local, dry beans. Hear what our panel has to say about why it matters to them to support local bean growers and processors, what they do to make this possible, and more. The panelists are:
- Miriam Holleb: an AmeriCorps service member serving for a second year with the Boulder Valley School District’s School Food Project
- Hannah Moore: the Non-Perishable Food Sourcing Lead at Food Bank of the Rockies
- Kathryn Ardoin: the Value Chain Coordinator for East Denver Food Hub
- 1:40-2: Trivia with prizes and wrap-up – That’s right! We’ll have a fun trivia game and prizes. The questions will all relate to what we’ve discussed at the Bean Summit, and you can win local beans and bean swag.
Register for the 2023 Bean Summit
Please be sure to register! Our bean growers, dealers/processors, and bean organizations have generously sponsored this event so that it is free for you to attend. It is important to register so we can plan accordingly and make sure we have enough delicious bean dishes for everyone. We are very much looking forward to having you join us!
Thank You to Our Sponsors!
This event would not be possible without the generous contributions of our sponsors.
We are honored to partner with the Nebraska Dry Bean Commission to share about bean production in our states. You will hear from both Colorado and Nebraska bean growers during our Grower Panel.
We are excited to partner with the Wyoming Bean Commission to share the full story of beans in our region.
The Rocky Mountain Bean Dealers Association will be in attendance to support bean growers and dealers/processors in our Rocky Mountain region.
Barber’s Farms offers various types of Colorado Proud beans, including pinto and Mayocoba.
Northern Feed & Bean has been serving bean growers and communities for over 70 years and specializes in Colorado Proud pinto beans, Mayocoba beans, black beans, small red beans, and orca beans.
Trinidad Benham Corporation is a large private label packager of dry beans based in Denver, Colorado. They specialize in a wide variety of beans, such as pinto, light red kidney, black, and garbanzo beans. Trinidad Benham also offers labor-saving bean products for foodservice that include kettle-ready, pre-washed beans.
Questions about the Bean Summit? Please email us.