We are so lucky to have great students in our communities who are excited to showcase Colorado beans! We would like to congratulate the winners of the Colorado Bean Recipe Contest.
At the recent Colorado Bean Summit, Belén García submitted a killer recipe for Black Bean Tesmole. She exceeded our expectations by even making a beautiful file sharing some of the dish’s history and showing the whole process. This is not the first time she has won a contest, either! You can explore some of her other winning recipe submissions here. Belen, you are an inspiration and we can’t wait to see where your career takes you!
Haley Roy was the other winner, with her Asparagus and Black Bean Salad. Below is the recipe she provided:
Haley Roy’s Asparagus and Black Bean Salad
- 1/2 c brown rice
- 1/2 c dry black beans
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 3 radishes
- 3 spring onions
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- If using dry beans: soak overnight in cold water, and then cook for 2 hours.
- Steam brown rice. I use an electric steamer and add 1 cup water into the bowl with the rice. Steam for 45 minutes and then let it sit for 10-15 minutes until all water gets absorbed. Transfer to your serving bowl.
- Steam asparagus and chop into bite size pieces and add to rice. Wash and chop the rest of the veggies and add to the bowl.
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients together in a bowl.
- When beans are done cooking, drain and rinse them well with cold water and add to bowl. Pour dressing over salad, mix well and serve.