Colleen Ferreira is back with another incredible recipe that beautifully showcases Colorado Mayocoba beans!
Lemony Masala Mayocoba Bean CurryDifficulty: Easy
The shining characters in this dish come together for a bright and spicy bite that will take your taste buds on an international journey. Indian masala, fresh lemon and coconut milk are the three ingredients that make this hearty bean curry irresistible. Dunk that naan bread right into the beans– no need for a spoon!
1 cup Mayocoba beans, soaked overnight
1 white onion, diced
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
1 ½ tablespoon sambhar masala
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fenugreek powder
The zest and juice of one lemon
¼ cup fresh herbs – cilantro or mint
3 to 4 cups of coconut milk (canned, full-fat recommended)
- Heat your pot over medium high heat, add in a tablespoon of oil. Add in diced onion and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Mix in the ginger garlic paste and cook with onion for a minute. Add in the masala and toast the spices for a minute with the onion mixture.
- After soaking your beans overnight, strain any excess water that is left. Now add in the beans, salt, fenugreek powder into your pot. Sauté mixture for about 3 minutes.
- Add in 3 cups of coconut milk and stir well, bring to a boil. Once at a boil, cover the pot and lower heat to the lowest setting. Simmer beans for about 2 hours, stirring them every 30 -45 minutes.
- Add in more coconut milk if necessary. Curry should be hearty and thick. Once the beans are done, turn off the heat.
- Add in your herbs, lemon rind and lemon juice. Stir and serve with naan bread!
Fun fact: This recipe also aired on 9 News Denver!